Monday, 15 December 2008

10 Collages















Optional
There are different kinds of path way which lead us to the rock opening in the first garden in suzhou. Different heights of the stairs are set in order to create horizontal and vertical movement. Ways can be connected to one opening which is dark and mystery. I cannot see the end of the ways and the stairs, and there are always stairs after stairs, pathways after pathways. Trees are on my right-handed side which creates shadows and these shadows make the place seem changing over a day, a season or even a year.
















The relationship of the roof lines
In the Chinese garden, the heights of the walls are varied and that creates different type of roof lines and eves. This controls me to see or not see things that behind the walls. The roof lines can be linear or curvy. They can be “drop down”, “go though” or even “disconnect” one to each other. It is a shame that the photos do not convey the main aspect of this collage and it could be better if I use different strategy to approach the same idea without just connecting the roof lines.
















The tower
I was about to take my tired body out of this huge Chinese garden at the evening, I saw the shadows of the trees on the endless river when looked back from the round opening. The endless river is leading us to the tower which sits in the middle of the surrounding trees. The evening sky makes everything become black and this creates a sense of focus on the structure of the tree and the tower while their structures are contrasting each other.
















Boundary
I would like to express the order of the building in Suzhou gardens. I used the method of one point perspective to create the visual interest of the ordering. I made the front building in front of the red building because it is the shelter of the garden. There is also water reflection outside the boundary as a canal as well as expressing the size of the pond inside the garden. The boundary wall in the collage is not acting as a barrier of the garden, but it protects the building after it and helps people to imagine the feature behind.















The hole

When I was walking from the inside of the garden to the outside, I saw a huge and tall wall cut right after some rockeries and trees. The plantation is extended on the wall and it looks like a painting on a high-rise wall. When I look though the circle opening, I see a red building with a lot of windows. I desire to look what does the building look like and I can not stop to imagine the whole view after the opening. After I walk though this opening, the building and view amaze me and it is so great!





















The hole
In the Chinese garden, I found that there are many circle openings which leading us to walk around the garden. These openings can be set in a way that connecting to each other in a not direct way and the sizes of the opening can be varied. After walking though an opening, there are always trees or plantation next to the opening to give a relief to the opening and the space of a garden. Trees are everywhere in Chinese garden to show the nature of a garden.





















The Chinese painting
Trees, mountains and rivers are everywhere in the garden. While I am walking between rockeries, I will never know what the next thing is. That can be people, opening, river, plantation or a dead end. There are so many different types of rockeries. They can be snippy, can be rough, can be big, and can be small. Mountains can be wet, can be dry, can be tall, and can be short. Rivers and Mountains are merged to each other into one painting but one painting can never show us everything that inside the mountain.






















The corridor
The experience of walking the corridor in Chinese garden is very different to a normal corridor. It is not a straight corridor and it forces you walk around the garden, enjoy the atmosphere and nature. It causes me to look at the garden from different point of view and at the end to the circle opening where begins a new journey. The different height of columns expresses the ceilings of the Suzhou garden are set in different height and not parallel.
















The corridor

In this corridor series, I would like to express the relationship between the corridor, rockeries and the wall opening. In Suzhou garden, when corridor is wrapping a big open garden, wall is set next to the corridor as a divider of partition. It forces people to look at the garden but at the same time, rockeries sit between the corridor and the wall. From the little opening of the wall, people can see the view behind it and the rockeries seem create relationship to the outside of the boundaries.




The corridor
In this series of corridor, I took photos from different point of view and connecting them as a strategy of my collage. It shows how depth can a corridor be and how long the corridor can be. It creates a viewpoint interest for audiences without destroying the main focus. i can only see the top part of the building which behind the corridor from a long way, but when I close to the building and can feel the difference of the scale of the building. And there is always a different view for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment